Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Running Errands

When I was in my pre-teens and teens I used to wish I had more hands. You know, two to hold the book and turn the pages and one or two to pet the cat in my lap. (Those were the days...no responsibilities, and my biggest worry was how long the cat was going to stay.) Sometimes I still wish I had more hands but for a whole different set of tasks! (I'm sure you can relate.)

I was on my way to the post office yesterday to drop off a big box and get some stamps ("Wait, Jennifer, you were running errands yesterday? On a weekday?! You NEVER get to get out of the house during the week! You're usually stuck at home with no car!" "I know, I was happy :)") Sorry, my imaginary friend had to jump in there. Anyway, I was on my way to the post office trying to figure out the logistics of getting LB AND the big box into the post office at the same time and could only imagine the trouble I was going to have.

The box wasn't heavy, but it was big and awkward and there was no way I was going to be able to carry LB and the box at the same time. Or even if I could, once I picked one of them up I wasn't going to be able to pick up the other one. So LB was going to have to walk. And I could just imagine how THAT was going to work! As little as he is, he's already got a mind of his own, and doesn't always cooperate (I'm sure you can relate.)

So I'm in the car, wishing I had more hands, KNOWING it was going to be a disaster (and therefore, something worth blogging about. I think I wrote this post 10 times yesterday) when Someone reminded me to ask for help. It was, like, "Oh yeah! I forgot about Him!" So I said a quick little prayer: "Please don't let LB get hit by a car, or kidnapped. Amen." Because, really, that was the worst that could happen. It occurred to me that although God hears us and is concerned for us, it's possible He'll let us fall on our face so we learn a lesson, especially if we're doing something particularly STUPID. Like trying to carry a large box and drag a toddler by the hand at the same time. At which point I continued writing this post in my head, because I knew it would be worth blogging about. (It did occur to me that other mothers take their children on errands, and I only have one little one to worry about, but that didn't decrease my anxiety.)

You know what, though? It was a total non-issue. Not only did LB NOT get hit by a car or kidnapped, he let me hold his hand and (get this) LEAD him in the right direction!! Our progress from the car into the post office was punctuated by frequent stops, as LB had to pause and smile at EVERY person we encountered (yes, he is a FLIRT. And the behavior is encouraged because everyone smiles back, and if they don't, he stares them down) but we made it inside, dropped off the box and got stamps, and back to the car. And LB walked the whole way. (Such a big boy!)

As we drove to Walmart (I love Walmart...) I was laughing at myself for being so anxious before. Of course God would take care of us! Why was I so worried? I figured I had wasted my time writing a blog post in my head, because there was nothing to blog about in the end. But then I realized that there was even MORE reason to write this post - God took care of us! And I have to tell EVERYONE of His goodness and faithfulness. Even such a small thing as trying to take a toddler to the post office, He cares!

I will praise you, O LORD, among the nations;
I will sing of you among the peoples.

For great is your love, higher than the heavens;
your faithfulness reaches to the skies.

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens,
and let your glory be over all the earth.

Psalm 108:3-5 (New International Version)

No comments: