Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Au Revoir

My sister-in-law flew back to one of her "other homes" this afternoon. The house feels so empty! She had things to do while she was here, so she was out and about most days leaving DS and me home alone, but the house never felt as empty as it does now. It's quieter and more empty than it ever is. And if I just sit without doing something, the quiet and emptiness seem to press in on me. It's one of the saddest feelings in the world, and it happens every time someone leaves after an extended visit.

But, we'll see her again in 11 days! We'll all be flying to CA for Christmas, as usual. Both my family and DH's family are in CA, so that's where we always spend Christmas. It makes November and December the busiest months of the year for us: we drive to VA for Thanksgiving, Sis-in-law has visited us for 10 days for the past two years, and then we fly to CA for 2-3 weeks. Then everything comes to a screeching halt in January. The weather's cold and dreary, there's nothing going on, we've left all our family behind...yeah, January's not one of my favorite months! So I won't think about it and just focus on all the craziness we've got going on for the rest of the month :)

No comments: