Monday, December 22, 2008

Nicknames

I am terrible at coming up with nicknames. It just doesn't come naturally to me. In fact, I will continue to call a person by the name that was originally used when I met them. For my bro- and sis-in-law, that means using their shortened names (Beth and Ben) even though now that they've graduated from college they're preferring their lengthened names (Elizabeth and Benjamin). (I met my DH's family when we were all in high school - thanks to Boy Scouts!)

But when my son was born, it was completely different. Not that any nicknames I come up with are that unusual, but they are nicknames nonetheless. I call him Little Bug, Baby Boy, Big Boy, and Little One (I call him by his name too, no worries.) My favorite is Little Bug - he's had that one since he was born (he looked like such a little bug!) What's funny is other people use my nicknames! (At least, I think it's funny. Do they have the same problem I have with coming up with them? Are they afraid we'll get upset if they come up with their own? I dunno) So DH will use the one I used most recently, and SIL likes Baby Boy. The funniest is MIL: she picked up on the Little Bug, but either didn't hear it right or purposely changed it - she calls him Little Butt!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually MIL used Little Butt on her own kids, so it is her nickname.