Saturday, December 13, 2008

What a day!

Yesterday was such a crazy day! I had MOPS from 9:30 to noon, but DH had an 8:00 meeting and since we only have one car, DS and I had to drop him off, which meant getting out the door at 7. I got up at 5 so I could bake the quiche I had promised to bring and we had stayed up late the night before at a Christmas party and I hadn't slept well, so I was tired before the day began! Driving DH to work was awful because it snowed the night before and the roads were covered in ice and it seemed like we were always behind someone with sports tires, i.e., no traction. Scary!

So I drop off DH and have an hour and a half before MOPS, but it's not worth it to drive home just to turn around and drive to MOPS, so I had planned on a small shopping trip. When I got there (at 8:15) the earliest any store opened was 9, and since I was only 6 minutes away from where MOPS meets I didn't want to drive anywhere else. So DS and I sat in the car and played with the radio and the GPS and my keys and my phone for 45 minutes until Ross opened. I had 20 minutes to shop and DS decided he'd had enough of sitting and fussed the whole time! I was so frustrated! I was determined the get the pair of shoes I'd been dreaming about, so DS sat in the cart and expressed his displeasure at my indulgence while I tried on every pair of shoes that appealed to me. I finally decided on a pair as the alarm on my phone started going off (I was NOT going to be late for MOPS - I've missed the last two meetings and this was our only one for Dec. Plus, I had baked a quiche!).

The meeting went well. DS played with other "Moppets" and there was lots of food and fun talk. We listened to The Crippled Lamb that made me cry and played a game and made ornaments and exchanged cookies (another reason I wasn't going to miss this meeting!). I even made small talk! I was very proud of myself :) (my mother is very good at conversing, so I never learned how to start a conversation.)

After MOPS I picked up DH and we headed for lunch. The plan was to eat out and then go to the Y and then to DS's doctor appointment at 3. But I was so tired and had eaten so much at MOPS, that I wasn't hungry enough to justify eating out and DS was sound asleep in the back seat. So we went home and ate all the cookies I had gotten at the exchange (after a very wholesome and healthy lunch, of course.) At the time it seemed like a good idea. How were we to compare them and determine which ones we liked the best if we spread it out over several days? Besides, they'd just go stale. There were a couple very tasty ones and one really nasty one and one that I liked very much even though DH said it looked like chocolate covered cat barf. I ate it anyway. And I gave some to DS.

It took us so long to eat the cookies (we had to cut each one in half, determine who was going to eat each half, and then discuss the merits of the cookie) that when we finished it was time to get ready to go to the doctor's. DS is still too young (15 months) to dread the doctor, so it wasn't too bad. The waiting room was full of kids since school was cancelled ("inclement weather") and we were very pround when DS had no fear to walk right up to the table and play with the toys when there were so many other (bigger) kids! He loved it. The visit was uneventful, except for the vaccines. Those were an event, but DS stopped crying before the technician had even finished putting the bandaids on. Then DS insisted on walking out instead of being carried, which was absolutely fantastic: 1)he's heavy 2)it's so cute when he walks while holding my hand! And he got a sticker, which made his day. Then we went home and had frozen pizza for dinner and I went to bed at 8 because I was too tired to do anything else.

When I woke up this morning I opened my eyes and laid in bed for a moment and savored the feeling of waking up on my own, feeling well rested, without being woken up by anybody else. It hasn't happened in a long time! I slept for almost 12 hours! My sleep was interrupted once a little after midnight when DS was screaming (his first nightmare/night terror!) But other than that I slept very well - something else that hasn't happened in a while! So today I've been very productive and feel very proud of myself. Maybe the house will be in decent shape when we leave for CA after all!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Ah, my hubby and I had only one car when we were first married. I remember taking him to work, so I could have the car, too. I always had to get up waaaay too early.

I like the expression, 'chocolate covered cat barf'....I've seen a few of those Christmas cookies in my day! LOL!