Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Semantics

What do you mean when you ask about a "least favorite food"? The question wasn't "what food do you most dislike?" It was "least favorite." Does that mean you want to know what's at the bottom of my favorites list? A food that I like enough to consider one of my favorites, but it's at the bottom of the list, so it's my least favorite? That would actually be a harder question. When we talk about favorites we say something like, "that's one of my favorites!" But I don't think most of us put them in order of most favorite to least favorite. Although I do remember someone saying something about grape being a more favorite flavor than something else...Anyway, it seems most people respond about a food that they most dislike. So I must conclude that although "least favorite" may have an alternate meaning, it really means "something you hate."

No comments: